Monday 11 January 2016

Moving week! 4 sleeps to go....

Happy Monday!

Moving week is here finally!

This week sees the work start with solicitors and vendors again.  We're waiting to hear where we will be collecting the keys from and if everything is going smoothly with solicitors/lenders, so fingers crossed there.

All being well we should get the keys just after lunch on Friday and be making a cup of tea by 3pm!  Having said that, with the amount of things we have to shift, I don't think there will be time for tea!

Hopefully we will have everything moved in by Friday night, Saturday lunch time at the latest, all depending what time we get the keys and make it to the farm.

Saturday and Sunday will see lots of visitors of family and friends combined with trying to put fences up for the puppies (our older dog won't wander off) and making the hen house safe.  Hopefully our girls should be back with us shortly after moving in. 

We plan on getting a few fertilised eggs when they become available, a few chickens and some geese.  We will then continue to breed them through the year.  The boys will mostly become Sunday lunch and the girls will be kept mostly as layers.

Pigs and possibly sheep will follow and again we are hoping if we give them a good life, they will give us a good freezer stock.

All animals and "plants" that we bring in will be for a purpose.  By that, I mean they will need to feed us or help support feeding us.  The horses however are an exception!  They are purely for our pleasure :D.  We have 4 coming with us.  Not all are ours but we are lucky enough to have a friend bring hers too.

The horses stables are arriving on Tuesday as is their bedding and the hay is coming on the Thursday.  I can't stop myself getting excited but until everything is completed on Friday, I need to keep a lid on it!

5 comments:

  1. No, no, no, the horses are essential - they provide the well-rotted manure to grow the vegetables :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, thought I would pop over and offer a bit of encouragement, we moved to our small holding 18 months ago and i love it every day the highs and lows, look forward to seeing your adventure unfold :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm as excited as you and looking forward to you story unfolding. I feel at 59 I'm too old to do what you are doing but would have loved to have done. Dawn (above)has done so well on her expanding kingdom in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I do not think that at 59 you are too old to do this! I am, and I am doing it in a very drought stricken Western Cape South Africa, in the Riversdale area. It has been my lifelong dream, ever since I was a tiny little girl, and my hubby told me that once he was close to retirement age and our children were grown up and off our hands, that it was time for me to live my dream! It took me 2,5 years to find the little farm, and we bought it five years ago in October. My hubby is due to retire shortly, and I am already on the farm with our pets (3 dogs, 2 cats and 3 parrots!) and my temporary veggie garden is up and running! We have a heck of a lot of work to do, especially as the only buildings that are here is a tiny two roomed workers cottage, a even smaller little shed, and an outside toilet. We do have electricity, and we have 6 hours of water per week on a canal system. The very first thing we did is install a massive 2meter high fence, as our big dog Zac clears 1,8 meters as f it does not exist. hen the very next thing installed was a temporary shower in a tiny little wendy house (small tiny wooden cabin) right next door to the cottage. Initially the hot water was heated by running a 100 meters of black plastic piping, but I have just had a gas geazer installed, as we are heading into winter which is our rainy season, and hot water power by the sun will become a thing of the past! So yeah, I am 58, and my hubby will be turning 60 soon, so we are starting a brand new life all over again! LOL, I am going to be the farmer, and my hubby will be the muscles when I need them, my househusband and a golfer!

      Delete

Week 8 - The depths of February and going strong.

We have decided to put the area where the pigs were a few years ago back to grass.  They did a great job of eating what was there, weeds and...