Tuesday, 25 October 2016

Christmas cabbage in October?

I'm really pleased that we have red cabbage ready. It's one of the veggies that I really enjoy when cooked right. So when I came across a recipe for Mary Berry's braised red cabbage, I set to work. Here we have 2 heads of cabbage, 3 large cooking apples, a bit of sugar, white wine vinegar and the 3 tbsp of redcurrant jelly (which I wasn't supposed to put in yet but never mind). It was brought to a high heat  for a few minutes being stirred regularly then transferred to the simmering oven for 2 or 3 hours. It is still in there so I will save the after shot for another day. The bonus of this recipe is Mary B says it freezes and reheat extremely well. Perfect for Christmas.
What's also perfect for Christmas is the livers from put home raised chickens which I'm told make a lovely pate. I've never had it before but I won't let them go to waste. We have 7 cockerels in the freezer now. They were small so have been jointed and their carcasses are in the freezer too whilst I find out what to do with them for the best stock. Shall I roast them all whole?  Add veg to roast?  Boil them up without roasting? What would you all recommend?

8 comments:

  1. I can smell the re cabbage yummy. Tell me how have you managed to keep the cabbage white away from your cabbages? I lost all of mine and the sprouts look doubtful now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dare I say I haven't done anything? It must be beginners luck! Although the sprouts here look doubtful too.

      Delete
  2. Mmmm red cabbage. I'm not able to resist a famous line of Victoria Wood's - Red cabbage, how much?!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi tracy sorry I don't go a bundle on red cabbage/ my cousin did it this way and neither I nor OH were impressed/ We do like raw red cabbage and I also pickle it. however I am sure you can freeze cabbage in any event - have read something somewhere probably in one of my books as I had noted it to do some for OH so that he had easy things to hand when I am incapacitated from my operation. I use pickled red cabbage to give a lift to a salad over Christmas OH just chomps his way through it like there is no tomorrow. I have a couple to do in the next few days or so and it will be easier now I have the new fridge to let it cure in. interestingly enough we like leaks but my said cousin also served them in a white sauce which we did enjoy having never had that before. Different people different ways would not be good if we were all the same. the red cabbage will however brighten up your Christmas plate. hope you are keeping well. offer is still on for the preserving book if you would like it. its a dorling Kindersley book called a little course in preserving. Somehow or another I managed to acquire two. it covers basic instructions for all kinds of preserving. I won't be offended if you say no but its there if you want it/ however could you let me know one way or the other. Thank you. pattypanx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh PP, no problem, each to their own as you say - it would be very boring if people didn't have different choices and enjoyments. IT all goes in the middle of the table and people choose what they want on Christmas day, so those that don't like it, won't have it. I love the idea of pickling it though. I'll have to check that out. We have leeks in white sauce as my Mam does them and I love it too.
      I am so sorry I've not been in touch on here about the book, I did send you a facebook request to have a chat on there about it :) Not sure if you saw it or didn't know it was me. Some people don't like new friends on FB who they don't know face to face so just say if so. I can't see a link to email you on your blog so just let me know the best way to chat privately so no personal details need to go on here. Thank you. I'd really appreciate the book xx

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Removed as requested as personal info was included x

      Delete