Monday 14 August 2017

Day 3 - baking and veg plot updates

When I was at work, everyone was asking me where I am going for my fortnight off.  Of course, we enjoy a break as much as the next person but we're not going abroad this time (we are later in the year though, I'm not averse to it).  However what I do want to use these 2 weeks for is a combination of things.  Firstly to spend plenty of time with Ste and the kids doing things that they find fun and that do not cost the earth.  Secondly to get on top of the veg plot, greenhouse and polytunnel and house chores so that when I'm back to work, it's more of 'maintaining' than 'drowning'.  Included in the house thoughts is cooking for the freezer. We do have some space left in there, not much seen as though they are all full of meat.  However I'll make sure they are stacked well and there's plenty of home made produce in there for go-to meals.
Today started off as always feeding the animals and checking everything is present and correct.  The dogs came with me.  They love that I am off work.  Then back in for crumpets and a cup of tea before heading out with the kids and dogs to the feed shop as we needed more layers pellets and corn.  We were back and sorted by 9:15.  The kids offered to help out for an hour by tidying their rooms with the view to spend time after lunch doing the craft things they have both been waiting for.  They did a great job so I am pleased.  Making a start on cooking for the freezer, first up was a lemon drizzle traybake a-la Mary Berry.  I had all of the ingredients in, including the lemons thankfully.  It took no time at all to prepare.  It's a throw it all in recipe, which suits my lifestyle 100%.
 


It turned out really well so I am adding it (and the cookies I made yesterday) to my batch bake list as the kids loved it as you can see!

In the veg plot, I have a million and one things to do.  I decided the best way to go about it is one bed at a time, finish it and move on.  Sounds obvious but when you get out there it's hard not to start something and move on before you finish as something always catches your eye and before you know it the day is over.

So today I lifted the onions from Bed 1.  These have been brilliant, great size, didn't go to seed and every single one came up so as long as the taste isn't too bad then we will stick with these each year.  If it's not broken then don't fix it.  They are Sturon an Garnet (sets).  The bed was full of weeds in between the onions, they've been crazy after all this rain.
However I am really pleased with the results.  They're all drying out head down which my neighbour told me to do.  We're due a really heavy down pour tonight so they'll get a wash and tomorrow is supposed to be lovely so they should dry out nicely before being taken into the barn.
I also tidied up the swiss chard as it was taking over, despite us using it regularly.  I'll definitely be growing this every year, it is so versatile. 
Also the chickens love it so they got all the of bits that I tidied up.

So that's 2 of the beds weeded and tidied up.  Although I didn't start on the other beds, I noticed a few squashes coming along nicely which made me very happy.  I'd missed a couple of courgettes whilst I'd been so busy at work too, so I roasted them tonight for tea.


I'm really pleased as we had a free, home raised meal tonight.  It was pork burger (with chilli) in a homemade roll, cucumber and tomatoes, roasted courgettes, red onion and pepper with steamed Athlete potatoes.  It was delicious however a talking point was I'd thought the peppers were peppers when in fact they were chillis, ooops.....Burgers aren't something I ate until this week - but these are too nice!

I also made a couple of loaves of bread for the freezer and I will continue to so we have them ready to just take out.

We then went out bramble picking for the first time this year and got a great haul which I will preserve with tomorrow as it was a bit late tonight after a busy day.
 
Another couple of photos from today that I took as they caught my eye and I'd like them to look back on for August memories.
 




 


8 comments:

  1. all looking good, my onions are not ready to lift yet, perhaps end of the month. They are looking though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with these two varieties

      Delete
  2. Tracy your tea looked delish. We have crumpets here a lot too for elevensies and the like. They r best toasted over the fire. Something used to do at my Nans. Nice lot of brambles there. I am hoping to go for blackberries and elderberries later in the week. Have elderberry wine to make. Look forward to seeing what you are going to do with them. I have plum and peach wine to start tomorrow evening. Last night was adding more fruit to the Rumptopf. Nearly to the top. Enjoy your break and family time. Lemon drizzle is a favourite here as well. Take care anx well done. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia. Our elderberries are still a while off yet, not a black one in sight. I'm going to catch up with your blog tonight as will try a plum wine too. I'm really enjoying it thank you, though today has gone by a little too quickly so far. Best get back out there! Thank you xx

      Delete
  3. The lemon drizzle cake is my favourite. Your garden is looking wonderful and what an amazing crop of onions you have. What is the benefit from laying the onion's the way you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids loved it too, I wasn't sure Jack would but anything with sugar on would go down well of course. Apparently lying the onion that way for a while stops any excess fluid laying in the neck meaning the could rot there. Who knows? Lol

      Delete
  4. Great post chic. Might have to check out our lemon cake recipe. Don't you love having so much of something so useful as onions. Chuffed I managed to grow brown, white and red ones this year, and some are huge!!!. I didn't know it was ok to leave them outside and if they got wet. My chooks loved the chard I gave them. My squash have loads of flowers on them so hope for frit soon. Burgers and berries, mmmm. Weather her is supposed to better than of late so hope to get stuff done outside but incoming guests may put paid to that this morning.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lemon cake recipe is staying, so easy! I didn't even think of all 3 coloured onions, well done! Yes I am really pleased we have them. Well they will dry this week with the wind and sun we've got so it's a good week to do them. Hope you get that fruit in the squash soon x

      Delete

Eat, Drink and be Merry - but now what?

In the words of the old adage "eat, drink and be merry", we can safely say we have done that during our time off the paid job.  As...