Wednesday 20 September 2017

Autumn planting

I have just placed an order for autumn planting garlic, onions and shallots. I've never grown shallots before. 

The garlic is hardneck Carcassonne Wight which I can plant straight away from September and crops from May.  Also I bought softneck Garlic Provence Wight. I will plant these garlic cloves from September onwards too. Apparently once lifted, will keep until January so I look forward to that.

RHS describes the difference between hardneck and softneck varieties.

  • Flower stalks appear readily
  • Fewer, larger cloves covered with a looser tunic are produced
  • It is considered to have stronger and more interesting flavour
  • It is best gathered when the foliage has changed colour
  • It stores only until mid-winter

Softneck garlic (Allium sativum) generally produces smaller, more tightly-packet cloves;

  • Does not produce flower stalks unless stressed
  • It is best harvested when the foliage starts going over
  • It has better storage qualities than hardneck varieties
  • If autumn planted it will keep until mid- to late-winter
  • If planted in early spring softneck varieties it can be stored until mid-spring
The autumn onions are: Shakespeare - for steeping in sauces and giving casseroles a real kick. British bred, autumn planting brown skinned variety that produces high yields of good sized bulbs with excellent skin formation that means it shows good storage potential well into the winter months. Red Cross which over winters well and stores for up to three months. 

Finally the shallots are: golden gourmet which are 20 bulbs. I've never grown them before so any tips welcome. 

We had a really cold snap the other night which saw the outside temp drop to 3.5c which was a shock. This weekend I'll bring in the plants that don't tolerate cold well including the lemon tree, cape gooseberry and the young fig tree just as it's in a pot. The horses had their rain sheets on as we've had lots of wet weather and foggy mornings are making an appearance again.


11 comments:

  1. A timely reminder for me to get an order in, shallots are grown the same as onions you shouldnt have any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently planting my fall garlic. I'm planting more than any previous year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - we use a lot of it and you can preserve it well so that's a bonus.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to grow more through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything is better than nothing isn't it Tania. Also 1 less cost on the shopping bill

      Delete
  4. Oh I love this post chic, lots of information and plans for the future, too! I grew Red Cross onions last year but my shallots were a fail so hope for better results this time. I just love going down to the cellar store room 'shop', as Dawn calls her store, for my onions. You have read about your garlic much more that I did, Ha! I have ordered the offer from GYO magazine but will need some more, though. Lovely photo of the horses.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are forever learning aren't we? I don't think anyone can ever know everything about growing as it's a year by year thing too! My onions still haven't arrived x

      Delete
  5. I have never understood the difference between hard and soft neck garlics or how on earth to tell. I planted garlic this month, it was one or the other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure either way you'll be reaping the rewards soon

      Delete
  6. I'm sure the horses appreciated their rainsheets and that sudden dip in temperature would have made them doubly welcome, even though they aren't padded. My Arab used to HATE the rain D9don't get THAT where I come from, he would tell me). I would put him out, with his snug rug and neck cover and he would immediately turn right round and look longingly at his stable!

    Good luck with the garlic and onions. I am sure the shallots won't be difficult to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol you made me smile with your Arab comments, growing up the Arabs were the one breed used to love. They're too funny.
      Thanks for the comment on the shallots, hopefully they'll be here soon.

      Delete

Week 8 - The depths of February and going strong.

We have decided to put the area where the pigs were a few years ago back to grass.  They did a great job of eating what was there, weeds and...