Wednesday 22 November 2017

The fox has been

The days are drawing in and the smallholding is going into its winter routine. Sadly we had a visit from the fox at dawn a day or 2 ago. It took one of my geese. A fully grown big bird. I've heard that foxes take geese but part of me never believed it. I was devastated. This goose would have been for the table yes, but we are ALL about a good life and a quick and humane end. This end was not nice and I felt so sorry for it.

RIP goose.


Also, we're missing 3 ducks. However they are missing without a trace. We found the remains of the goose, so although in my heart I know it was the fox, I'm hoping that the ducks have found an appealing part of the river and have gone on an adventure.

This means we're locking up as soon as it gets dark which is ridiculously early through winter. The geese are squatting in the sheep pen which is in the barn with the horses. We'll figure out a permanent home for them before the sheep are to be housed. The geese do make me laugh, they are forever chatting to themselves. Also they randomly stretch their wings making every other goose duck down until the stretching session is over.


At the weekend, we visited my Uncles new place that he's bought with his lovely wife. It's on the way to Whitby and is beautiful, such a lot of potential. The kids had a blast helping out. I look forward to seeing what they grow there both edible and livestock wise. They aren't sure yet as plan to travel too, so I'll watch this space.


The kids had fun and so did Ste as he got to knock things down! 

Also I'm pleased to say my bunyards exhibition have germinated!! They are in the unheated greenhouse where they will stay until they are big enough to plant out.

I've got some sweet peas in now too, to see if they get a good start on next year. I'll do more beans and peas in the spring too.


Finally I wanted to share with you how my Christmas present is coming on! Ste is making me a potting shed and I am ecstatic about it. How many 30 something yr old women would say that?


Also, we're expecting another addition to the smallholding late December. More to follow ❤️

13 comments:

  1. The foxes are bad in our area this year. I've seen them in the afternoon haunting my chickens. One almost got one or two, but alas we saved them. Congrats on getting a potting shed. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shed is coming on amazingly, we're almost there so I'll update on it shortly. Foxes are never ending worry aren't they.

      Delete
  2. Poor goose but that's life unfortunately. I used to live next to a wooded area and every evening a huge dog fox would come along the row of houses looking for anything in the bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and thankfully it only got one. Previous experience tells me they would kill everything given the chance. Town foxes are even worse as they are even more brazen 😪

      Delete
  3. sorry to hear about the goose, all our poultry gets shut in now at 4pm its a long time indoors for them but I have lost too many in the past leaving them out later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes same here Dawn. Though I'm not convinced the fox will only hunt at night but what else can you do?

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry about the goose. We have a huge Hawks that occasionally flies over,he watches my hens. Last week he was out. My dogs sat by the hen house watching him. The roosters were making a racket.
    I think it's great your getting a potting shed for Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We're getting a new addition soon which I hope will be a deterrent for the fox. The potting shed is amazing! I'm so pleased at how it's coming on.

      Delete
  5. Sorry again about the goose, they really are gorgeous looking birds. I would DEFINITELY get excited about a potting shed, but you know me and I'm the far side of 40 something! Look forward to hearing about your uncle's new project. Love Whitby.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou x haha it makes me when ppl ask me what I am hoping to get from Santa and they think I am joking when I say that lol. Whitby is amazing isn't it xx

      Delete
  6. Fox attacks are horrible, after a terrible visit many years ago I stopped keeping chickens. I had a shed for a recent birthday, so I do understand your excitement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we're on the same shed wavelength Marlene 😂. :) the fox is very off putting but I won't let it stop us, we'll figure something out.

      Delete
  7. I take it your Uncle won't be 'in for Christmas' this year! Foxes ended up taking all our geese and ducks...in broad daylight...even my Jemima. I know they have to eat...but surely they don't have to come and kill everything in one go? x

    ReplyDelete

Week 8 - The depths of February and going strong.

We have decided to put the area where the pigs were a few years ago back to grass.  They did a great job of eating what was there, weeds and...