We moved in on Friday 15th January after a lengthy and testing few months of negotiations and communications, or sometimes lack thereof. The actual moving day wasn’t without events either but that was down to where we had to pick the keys up from and my lack of road knowledge without a satnav or phone!
The stables went up for the most part on Wednesday evening. We had lots of help and it was gratefully received. DH and my Dad finished them on Thursday and I put the bedding down late Thursday night (about 10:30pm!) ready for the first arrivals on Friday morning. By Saturday evening we have 4 full stables and were happy as Larry but also slightly nervous in that we felt like we had 4 newborn’s in the house, that you need to check on every 5 minutes. The next day the feeling eased and we thoroughly enjoyed a ride out to test out the local bridleways.
The kids wanted to go fishing over the weekend, so we willingly obliged and took them to the river that runs round the side of our property and let them try to catch fish. We didn’t tell them that we’d eat our hats if they caught anything, as they had so much fun exploring that the fishing was surplus to requirements in the end.
|I have no idea what this is for?|
· Make shopping list sticking to plan and use Tesco vouchers.
· Move compost soil into greenhouse from compost heap.
· Buy compost (going to trial some using compost from heap, some from bag and some a mixture).
· Visit Durham hens to see what fertilised eggs they have ready.
· Make welcoming food for family that are visiting over the weekend. A key thing for the house for me, is to make people feel welcome and enjoy the happy home that we enjoy.
· Finish unpacking final boxes that will be put off forever otherwise – this is a night time job for when the day light’s gone.
· Buy potato seeds for chitting and put them on utility window (north facing and a good size).
· Plant seeds identified as Jan/Feb plantings and create a listing for what’s been planted.
· Take photos of vegetable beds and create a map/plan of plot.
· Figure out the thermostat that is in the greenhouse – looks like a good piece of kit but can we heck find out where the on switch is (mains powered and lead goes in to ground).
· Try to convince DH that we don’t need to wait to start on the pig rearing plan.