Friday 3 February 2017

Rhubarb, peas, kale, spinach, PSB, onions & garlic

I had a little mooch around the veg plot mid week.  Something I haven't been able to do through November and December as it's been dark by the time I get home and have rode the horses.  I love that it is lighter for longer, each day we're getting a minute or two in our favour.  Spring will be here before we know it so let's not waste a moment.
I covered some rhubarb up with a bin to try and force it through but I only did this mid January.  It's slowly making it's way quicker than the other plants of the same variety but the difference is minimal and to be fair, you struggle to see it in the centre of this photo.
However the 2 early varieties that I bought last year are flying up, and they haven't been covered by anything.  So maybe I cover those two next year instead.
Early variety of rhubarb flying up
Showing both early plants.
I had wanted to move these 2 early varieties as I was planning on using the bed they are in as a full strawberry bed.  Does anyone know if I can still move them, now they are growing?  Do they need to move when dormant?
My Purple Sprouting Broccoli is not doing much.  Looks like slugs have been having a feed on it already.  Presumable with the mild winter they are coming out of dormancy?
Onions and garlic are showing.  There's red and white onions here.  I have more onion seeds that I didn't plant left over.  I wonder if I can put them in.  Garlic too actually.  I don't suppose it'd hurt to find out.
Last night I sowed some peas in drain pipes.  These are twinkle variety, to be sown February onwards.  I am using a method that I saw on notjustgreenfingers blog when she was still posting.  Incidentally, I hope she picks up the posting again soon.  You grow the peas on in the drainpipe and then when they are ready for their final plot, you dig a trench and slide them in with minimal disturbance.  Then I will put bamboo canes along the trench for them to grip and grow up.



I covered half with vermiculite then realised I had no idea how much to use.  So I guessed.  Half is compost so I can see which works best.  They are covered with a fleece in an unheated greenhouse.  I also sowed some peas in modules which are in the house to compare to the unheated greenhouse.
All experimenting giving my results to learn from for next year.

I also sowed some spinach and All Season Kale which are in the house uncovered.  Should I cover them?

It's Grace's party weekend, so we will be focusing on making it fun and enjoyable for her.  She will be 10 and Ste and I are acutely aware of how quickly that time has passed, so we intend to make the most of it all. 
Have a lovely weekend, I hope you all get time to stop & smell the roses.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy hope Grace has a lovely birthday and that you all have a fantastic weekend. I have already been after forced rhubarb as i normally bottle it as it is sweeter and better coloured than ordinary. I have some shooting up as well. Take csre and at least things are starting to sprout. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy hope Grace has a lovely birthday and that you all have a fantastic weekend. I have already been after forced rhubarb as i normally bottle it as it is sweeter and better coloured than ordinary. I have some shooting up as well. Take csre and at least things are starting to sprout. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your rhubarb comparison growing. Nice to see your garlic and onions are coming up. I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to grow onions from seed. I plan on using the same method for my peas and beans. What is the benefit of vermiculite. Hope Grace has a fab party and wish I would be there for the pork bun things.Have a fab weekend, speak soon.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy
    I have moved rhubarb, successfully, up till the beginning of March, here in south west wales. I also find planting peas in drainpipes useful, but mice enjoy them , so covering with wire mesh is a good idea. Spring is coming. kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tracy, thanks for visiting my blog, I'm feeling much better and my dressing is about a third of the size in the picture now so not so horrifying to look at. lol. You are sure getting a lot done for your garden I hope it all results in a great harvest. We don't think about gardening here until May!! By Saturday it should look like my header picture. Snow and more snow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi You could probably move the strawbs if you keep a good ball of earth round the roots. They should not be making too much progress yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the info on planting peas in the pipe. It seems that would be excellent for anything delicate to transplant. I'm planting alpine strawberries this year and may do it this way, they were SO tiny last year they were hard to work with. Then the ducks ate them all anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your daughter Grace. I live in the united states and some stores will give you the older seconds of produce for your chickens for free. Some stores will also give
    the older bread. Not sure if it is allowed there. I love the garden. I might try the rain gutter plantings as I live in a condo with a tiny patio but could use them vertically.
    Have a blessed week.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Week 8 - The depths of February and going strong.

We have decided to put the area where the pigs were a few years ago back to grass.  They did a great job of eating what was there, weeds and...