Monday 2 October 2017

Monday night preserves - winter tonic (elderberry syrup)

It always amazes me as to what nature offers at different times of the year. As we move into the months where people generally catch colds, feel tired and under the weather, if you take a look around you, nature has its very own remedies.  Elderberries shiny and black. Well, purple but I'm not splitting hairs.

I was worried we'd missed the boat with them as last year we did a bit and many had started to droop and shrivel. Not this year, even Ste was exclaiming at how good they looked. Tree after tree is laden with them, plenty for us and plenty for the birds.

I forgot my phone when we went out foraging, but we had a good time, even Jack who was feeing grumpy cheered up in the end.

That was yesterday, perfect Sunday! So today I'm making elderberry syrup.  I made a small batch of this last year and then didn't make more however this year I hope to make lots more to water bath and keep using until the Spring.

Elderberries have been used for years as one of the most antiviral herbs on the planet.  Highest on the list is fighting off colds, sinus (inflammation) issues, nerve pain and fatigue.  Who knows about the others but I firmly believe in the cold fighting abilities, purely because elderberries have such a high level of vitamins/anti oxidants and and such like.  Apparently during the 1995 Panama flu epidemic the government employed the use of elderberry to fight the flu. Who knew?

We harvested a large tuppawear tub full of elderberries and I set about using a fork to pull each berry off.  Soon enough I had 2 helpers who thought what I was doing looked interesting.  I can't tell you how much it pleased me to have the kids want to help in a task like this. As you can tell, we weren't dressed to look photogenic, but an honest photo at least!


Apparently you can freeze the berries on the stalks and then they come off even easier but to be honest it wasn't too much of a chore. I washed the berries and put them in a large pan. 

I covered them with just enough water and brought it to the boil. I chopped some root ginger, guessing the quantity. I put maybe a thumb size piece, skin too, roughly chopped into the pan. Boiling it for 5-10 minutes.


The recipes online mostly say to let it drip overnight or mash with a masher. As I'm always pushed for time, I used my hand held blender and zuzzed it all up.


I sieved it into a clean jug through a Muslin and I had 1 litre of liquid. I added 1 kilo of sugar and a cinnamon stick then simmered it and brought it back to the boil for a minute once the sugar had dissolved, decanting it whilst still warm into sterilised warm bottles. It's actually really nice and we'll be taking a spoonful of this every day to ward bugs off. If we're ill, you can take a spoonful every couple of hours for a vitamin boost.


This should keep a couple of months in the fridge but it won't last that long. When I make more I'll water bath them. 

9 comments:

  1. It's delicious isn't it? I made mine a couple of weeks ago now and have a spoonful on my porridge every morning. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly we are out of Elderberries down here and have been for a little while. I do have the Sloe Gin underway (2 litres) and I have the Crab apples to process this week as well amongst other things. Made 9lb of Fruits of the Forest Jam last night which has a nice set on it and also 8lbs of Tomato chutney (think this will go well with the Pork Pie). I do have a recipe somewhere for pickling the green elderberries - its not one I have tried but it is interesting. Elderberry is good for colds. There is also an Elderberry liqueur that you can buy commercially. Catch you soon. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed the boat with the Elderberries this year - the pigeons beat me to it. I've made Elderberry Syrup in the past though and you can't beat it for colds and flu. MIL used to buy Elderflower and Peppermint to take when she had a cold coming, so in flower form it is just as useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ashamed to say I have never even made the effort with elderberries. I really should add that to my list of things to try - how long is THAT one! Lovely to see the kids helping you. (Glad we are back to our chats.x)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I planted elderberry trees a few years back. We get blooms, but no berries just yet. I can't wait to get them too. So many good things to make with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tartness of elderberries straight off the shrub. They're also good for cutting with a sweet fruit to make wine (blueberries for example). Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People tired to find a relevant place where they can know real facts and myths about the topic mentioned by author of this blog. I want to help a lot of needy people through this blog to come up at my blog to know the real facts and myths regarding this topic. tonic home delivery

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was really nice to read article written on this blog. I would also like to add few techniques with best of my knowledge which can help reader more and more. tonic pharmacy app

    ReplyDelete

Week 8 - The depths of February and going strong.

We have decided to put the area where the pigs were a few years ago back to grass.  They did a great job of eating what was there, weeds and...