Tuesday 2 September 2014

A Long Tuesday

Tuesday's are NOT my favourite day of the week!  It's a long day at work.  Plus I'm working 8-10 tonight so I'm taking 5 minutes to myself to update the blog. 

Last night my son (4) and I made a cake using the foraged blackberries and it was gorgeous!  Then I made some jam and it was a disaster!!! It turned out to be rock hard lump!  I'm guessing I overcooked it!  I'll try again at the weekend when we get our next lot.

I've also got plums and apples from the garden so need to find something to do with them. 

The kids are both at school now and loving it and we're back into the swing of work again.  As I keep reminding us both.....it pays the bills in the mean time!

2 comments:

  1. Just read your comment on my blog and found this blog post....I guess you cooked it for too long.....were your saucers in the freezer for long enough?...as they need to be really cold or they won't show that you have reached the setting point. I can't remember if the recipe had lemon juice in either?...if it did, you could reduce this next timne or even leave it out. One last thought, did you use jam sugar and lemon juice?...if so there would be too much pectin in there which would cause it to be rock hard.

    Don't be down about this, as even now this occaisionly happens to me. Don't throw the jam away, use it in jam tarts as it will spread out and be find to eat after they have cooked or use it in cakes by warming some of it in a pan until it is spreadable and then using it to spread in between cakes.

    Please don't be put off as we learn from mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya - it was perfect on cooking (hence my excitement on your blog lol) until the next day when I went to use it and I've since realised (from Google) that I've overcooked it :(

    All is well though - I am not down about it - gave us all a giggle :D

    ReplyDelete

Week 16 - Back to the paid job - w/c April 15th

April 15th, 2024. The wind and rain were relentless again last night.  It continued through in to the early morning, finally easing with the...