Wednesday 3 January 2024

January Food Thoughts

What a wet day January 2nd was.  I was working, all be it from home thankfully.  Steven and the kids were still off and enjoyed doing their thing all day.  The rain didn't stop and even by the night time when Jill came to do her share of the horse jobs, it was still raining so we had to put the rain coats on the horses to turn them out and looking at how wet their rugs were when they came in, I'm glad we did!



When I stopped for something to eat around midday, I popped out to the garden as leeks have been on my mind!  With the snow, then the rain, I was worried the leeks would have suffered but they look really good.  By my standards anyway.


I decided to pick one for tea, to go with the casserole I was making.  A good old one pot that makes the kids roll their eyes.

I'm really pleased with these leeks.  I also have carrots, parsnips, sprouts plus a few beetroot left in the garden which will form a bit part of our diet as we move through Jan and Feb.  

My plan is, once I've used the last of the fresh veg in the pantry that desperately needed using, to start with the pantry challenge - my own version.  I say my own version as there's the Three Rivers one which people do that they never go shopping on etc etc but with kids, packed lunches and buying raw milk for example, I don't want to say I won't shop.

I will be selectively buying only what we need and the products I buy will be good quality.  I'm happy to spend a bit more for a quality product we need and not buy a whole load of more of a rubbish product for what we want (though yes, the kids will get some of what they want opposed to need).

The important part of the challenge is the products we buy will compliment what I have in the garden and pantry as that's my main focus and the shop bought things will not be the star of the show.

More to come on this soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 16 - Back to the paid job - w/c April 15th

April 15th, 2024. The wind and rain were relentless again last night.  It continued through in to the early morning, finally easing with the...