Wednesday 9 August 2023

An evening of Nettles, Weeds and a Chicken Loss

Tuesday, 8th August

Another day of the paid job followed by a busy evening outside.  Whilst I set about gathering some veg for tea, Steven used a pair of jump leads he has just bought to get the ride on started.  It needs a new battery but this was good enough for what he had planned.  Cheaper too!

 
 
The beetroot (Detroit Dark Red) was absolutely fantastic.  I made a sausage tray bake, one of my favourite meals which can be adapted at any time of the year to what's in season. 


The job for the evening on my plate was weeding another 2 beds, pathways etc to complete the Veg Garden as we call it.  

Here you can see pictures 1 and 2 showing the before and after for the Winter beetroot bed.  At the back of it, there's space for more seeds which will be spinach and radish I think.  However when I went to get my seed packets, I realised I needed more time than I had so I cracked on and weeded bed 3 which you can see here.  This one has the bush tomatoes, leeks, tomatillos and coriander in it that is flowering.  I will sow something else there.  Maybe flowers as no veg grows that well in the shaded corner.

 

Sadly, during the course of the night, we noticed a hen wasn't well.  Grace brought her to the veg garden where she kept her comfortable until she sadly passed away a short time later.


 

Steven worked tirelessly on the nettles that run alongside the car park area, meaning you can actually see through the fence as in this photo, which I took half way through his task.  When I went to see how he was getting on, I noticed the hazelnuts are coming on nicely.

Should you be interested, the night is also documented on  YouTube.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 16 - Back to the paid job - w/c April 15th

April 15th, 2024. The wind and rain were relentless again last night.  It continued through in to the early morning, finally easing with the...