Tuesday 8 August 2023

Prioritising jobs and evening pottering

Monday, 7th August 2023 - evening.

With all of the rain that we have had, I haven't been able to get in to the garden as much as I would have liked.  I did a video about it on YouTube.  It can feel overwhelming when the weeds take over so I have committed to a plan to do a bed at a time every night after work, until it is completed.

 

The bed above has beetroot, kale, onions from seed and courgettes in it.  It also has this thriving patch of flat leaf parsley which I am very impressed with and will be sowing much more.  I remember Daniel from "Mossy Bottom" on YouTube saying there's a wealth of recipes you can do with parsley and I would like to explore more.

Below is the second big bed I tackled in my follow on video which was last night, Monday.  It felt very good to get this one done.  I have half a bed of carrots which haven't been covered so I hope they are not bothered by carrot fly.  Where there were gaps in the later sown ones, I have sown more.  It's a bit late for carrots but you never know.


In between weeding, I popped in to make tea as we call it here.  Supper, our evening meal.  I'm making a big effort to utilise only what we have grown here, with as minimal extra as possible.  Tomatoes and onions were the base to a tasty "hash" as I call it.  I need a new name for that kind of meal, as the kids visibly recoil when I say it is hash 😂

 

Steven has a lot on his To Do list right now.  Maintenance of the outside space including both buildings and the land is a full time job.  Be it repairs, new animal accommodation, overgrown bushes or his wife asking for a new polytunnel ;)

  

The hedge had a quick cut back as it whipped you in the face every time you went by.  It needs doing on the top too, but this is a temporary measure as we didn't have the ladders to hand.  Much safer to walk by.  
Steven has given in and ordered a new brush cutter which has extendable poles on it - I'm not sure how that will work but I'll share once we have it as there's so much needs taking down around the land, nettles, thistles and more.


Above he has also cleared the pathway to the ducks, which he was able to do with the hand push lawn mower, so you don't get stung on the butt every time you walk by with bucket of food.

Finally, we headed to the field and weighed the pigs.  You do this by measuring the girth and the length and performing a calculation on it.  It's in an upcoming video.


He also inspected other jobs that are on the list, such as fence repairs.  These kind of things are lower priority, unless they pose an immediate risk.  Knowing what needs doing first helps form the plans for the evenings and weekends, especially now the rain has stopped for a while.

 

The sky was still moody, but thankfully kept it to itself.  We had a lovely night, pottering with other jobs once we had walked the field.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 16 - Back to the paid job - w/c April 15th

April 15th, 2024. The wind and rain were relentless again last night.  It continued through in to the early morning, finally easing with the...